Ever wondered if it’s safe to play the lottery online? We’re sure that’s you’ve heard a lot of horror stories about people being scammed by fraudsters and losing thousands in hard-earned cash trying to claim millions from lotteries online. In today’s online space, it’s good to learn how to keep yourself safe - and we’ll tell you how.
Today is the International day for Safer Internet and one of the Frequently Asked Questions on our site is How do I know if I’ve received a fraudulent SMS or email. This article will show you how you can protect yourself online and what to look out for when receiving mails and how to keep you safe when playing the lottery online.
What can you do:
- Choose a strong password. A longer password is better. Try and include the following in your password: numbers, symbols, uppercase letters and lowercase letters. Including these elements to your password will ensure that the odds are lower that your password will be hacked.
- Don’t make any purchases from non-secure sites. You will see if an online lottery site can securely accept your payments by looking for a little lock icon in your browser field. Another way to check the security of a site is to see if the URL has an https// in the beginning. Rather than just an HTTP (Kaspersky).
- Don’t just download anything you receive. Often fraudsters will send you links that are filled with infected files that can spread specific viruses onto your machine. You may believe you are downloading a harmless document when in fact the document has a virus hidden in it.
- Be careful about what types of information you post online. Sharing confidential personal information like your address in unsecured online environments can give those who want to cause you harm valuable ammunition to use against you.
- Keep your devices and software up to date. The easiest way to do this is to set your devices and browsers to auto-updates. This ensures that your software and devices are always updated against potential cyber-attackers when playing the lottery online.
What to look out for when you are receiving emails?
- If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If you haven’t entered a draw, you couldn’t have won. Don’t be fooled into providing your personal information to strangers who reach out to you with the promise of millions for your trusted data especially when you haven’t played the lottery online.
- Pay attention to the email address that you have received. If it’s not a professional, recognizable mail - rather query the email address with the provider. Our email addresses will always include our brand names.
- Don’t be fooled into giving someone money to claim a prize. Your entry into a draw is the price you pay. Do not provide information to anyone who contacts you when you win a prize asking you for an upfront payment to claim your winnings.
- Don’t interact with unknown providers posing as resellers or partners. We will always communicate with you on any collaborations and special promotions. If you are unclear about any partnerships or collaborations, you can always reach out to us via our official channels to confirm the legitimacy of the collaborator before providing them with any of your details.
- If you receive a special offer containing links from a friend via email, rather check with them first whether they have shared anything with you and what they know about the provider. Do not click on any of the URLs before confirming that your friend has sent you the information. This can be a form of phishing where fraudsters try and access your personal information.
We want to ensure all our players stay safe when playing with us. Therefore we take great pride in ensuring we protect and store your private information as well as updating our platforms continually to ensure you stay protected.
What are you waiting for? Rest assured that you can play safely with us today.